After mulling the idea over for weeks, or more likely months, I decided to actually do some painting. I already had some watercolours from a failed attempt at painting a few years’ ago. I have done a lot more drawing since then and hoped that the experience would help. In my previous attempts, I had simply added the paint straight onto the paper, whereas this time I drew out the basic shapes of what I was intending to paint. It may not be elegant, and I’m having a few issues with pencil marks, but I feel that I’m improving.
My first attempt was a little bunch of tulips in a simple glass jar. It’s not particularly accomplished but if you stand back it looks ok. I made the rookie mistake of attempting to paint pink which is notoriously difficult to get right without buying pink paint. I simply used very watered down red and it will do for me. I also took the flowers and photographed them on a simple surface – I really should have done them from life but I’ll address that in later posts.